Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Email | RSS | More
Geraldine DeRuiter with Jason Barnard at Kalicube Tuesdays
Geraldine DeRuiter talks with Jason Barnard about the Pratfall Effect
In this podcast Geraldine and Jason talk about how failure can be a sign of a more authentic and endearing person. The pratfall effect is the idea that when a generally successful brand or person fails in some manner, this makes people perceive them more positively. Geraldine expands on that idea, talking about taking that failure or mistake, learning from it and using the lesson learned to improve on future actions. Using previous examples and quite a few recent mistakes by Jason and Geraldine themselves, they reveal how they improved by learning from their errors… and discuss how being fallible is simply part of being human.
What you’ll learn
- 00:02 Introducing Geraldine DeRuiter
- 00:39 What is an ‘Everywhereist’?
- 01:58 The Knowledge Graph and Knowledge Panel of this podcast
- 3:03 What defines someone or something as a success in their area of expertise?
- 06:33 Introduction to the pratfall effect
- 07:58 An example of being critical of yourself in the hope of improving
- 10:45 Perceiving our own mistakes as worse than they are
- 12:16 Playing through your failures and leaning on others for support
- 14:37 Do people tie the success of others to their own?
- 15:24 How does being fallible help you?
- 16:24 Failing and falling forward: Recovering from our mistakes and improving upon them
- 17:52 When the fight or flight response kicks in when the mistake occurs
- 19:23 How should you perceive an audience when public speaking: friend or foe?
- 20:50 Is this statement true? The main barrier to your own success is often yourself
- 23:30 Jason’s story with the dictionary and the word ‘Zeugma’
- 26:29 The pratfall effect in marketing advertisements
- 28:02 The significance of strong branding and the pratfall effect
Subscribe to the podcast
This episode was recorded live on video October 21 2020
Recorded live at Kalicube Tuesdays (Digital Marketing Livestream Event Series). Watch the video now >>