Matthew Tenney with Jason Barnard at Kalicube Tuesdays
Matthew Tenney talks to Jason Barnard about researching people.
The discussion covers the best ways to use search engines such as Google, the pitfalls and the ways to avoid wasting time vetting the wrong individual.
The single most important takeaway is that you’ll do well to evaluate an expert through Google’s eyes.
Matthew and Jason discuss in detail that, when researching, you should think more in terms of entities than authors, or people… and look at those entities from the perspective of how Google perceives their Expertise Authority and Trust (E-A-T).
During the podcast Matthew goes on to point out the fundamental importance of using structured data and the sameAs property to indicate connections in a way that Google understands.
They move onto using Google Trends as a way to evaluate a person’s popularity… but also that it can be a limited since most people’s names do not generate enough search volume for Google Trends to pick up on them.
Then onto Google’s Knowledge Graph – something Jason is especially keen to talk about – specifically how to influence it.
To conclude, Matthew talks about the methods and tools he uses in his vetting procedure to find out as much as possible about an author or entity online. The perfect conclusion to a great conversation!
Kalicube Tuesdays: Vetting Experts Through the Eyes of Google. With Matthew Tenney.
What you’ll learn
- 00:25 Introducing Matthew Tenney
- 00:55 Why vetting on Google doesn’t always work
- 01:46 Creating a knowledge panel
- 03:10 How to vet in the eyes of Google through an entity
- 04:25 Do you trust Google’s results on a person?
- 04:32 If you want a great Brand SERP that emphasises your E-A-T, you need Google to recognise you as an entity
- 05:48 Looking at Google’s Knowledge Graph
- 06:05 Is Google moving away from Wikipedia/Wikidata to new trusted sources for information such as Crunchbase?
- 07:36 Building an entity using structured data
- 09:42 Show to check author/entity authoritativeness through Google’s eyes
- 10:10 Using Google trends to vet people
- 12:45 Why Google trends does not always work for entities
- 14:34 Is it even worth vetting someone anywhere else besides Google?
- 14:50 Why offline trust and authority signals also count
- 15:47 Taking the offline and moving it online effectively
- 16:54 Why using Kalicube.pro to measure the quality and control of your own Brand SERP is a good idea
- 19:38 Influencing and educating Google to suit you (as an entity)
- 20:30 How to leverage tools such as Google autocomplete and Google autosuggest
- 21:08 Why Facebook, YouTube and LinkedIn and Bing are also important
- 22:23 Bing’s Knowledge Graph
- 22:40 Matthew’s very own (rather good) vetting procedure
Learn more about nailing your place in the Knowledge Graph (without a Wikipedia page)
Subscribe to the podcast
This episode was recorded live on video July 21st 2020
Recorded live at Kalicube Tuesdays (Digital Marketing Livestream Event Series). Watch the video now >>