Chris Green talks with Jason Barnard about furthering your career in SEO.
Chris Green is the Head of Marketing Innovation at Footprint Digital. He has 10 years of experience as a digital marketer and an internet nerd even before that. An experienced SEO consultant, strategist, and an author – you can find his blogs in State of Digital. He’s also a speaker for various industry conferences such as BrightonSEO, State of Digital Conference, and Optimisey.
Growth is inevitable in our careers. The more we learn, the more we know, the more we bring value to the company. Chris Green started his SEO career like most juniors in SEO agencies: going the simple tasks over and over. Then he moved onto the more complex stuff… getting things wrong is all part of developing the skills and experience a Senior SEO needs.
In this insightful episode, Chris Green and Jason Barnard discuss the career progression of an SEO working in an agency versus independent contractors, the in-depth knowledge an SEO is expected to have as they grow, and the mentoring abilities they need to teach a well-rounded team. Watch out, Jason also made up a terrible intro song just for Chris!
What you’ll learn from Chris Green
- 00:00 Chris Green and Jason Barnard
- 01:29 Chris Green’s Brand SERP (ambiguous name)
- 05:00 The skills of a senior SEO/ What it takes to be a senior SEO
- 06:37 Progression in SEO agencies versus independent contractors
- 08:14 Moving up from a junior position to a senior position
- 12:32 The experiential growth when working for an SEO agency
- 15:44 What you can give when you already have the ‘senior experience’
- 18:41 Is Technical SEO less important now than it used to be?
- 21:28 Are we simply fixing people’s businesses?
- 25:19 When you get things wrong, you develop the ability to look left and right
- 30:12 How Chris Green started his SEO career
- 33:24 The combination of good business and good marketing.
This episode was recorded live on video June 29th 2021
Recorded live at Kalicube Tuesdays (Digital Marketing Livestream Event Series). Watch the video now >>