Fabrice Canel talks with Jason Barnard about the low-down on IndexNow.
Fabrice Canel is a Principal Program Manager leading the crawling, processing, and indexing team at Bing. He is a veteran at Microsoft Bing that has dealt with crawling web pages since the beginning of Bingbot and now deals with the hundreds of billions of new or updated web pages every day!
In this episode, Fabrice Canel and Jason Barnard discuss IndexNow – a stunningly great change that is happening to search engine indexing.
One of the ultimate goals of search engines is delivering timely information to its users. However, crawling websites may take days or weeks so updated, added and deleted information often takes some time to reflect in search engines. This is a big problem for website owners and one they often struggle to deal with.
So to relieve this pain point, Microsoft Bing has introduced IndexNow, a new protocol allowing websites to easily notify search engines whenever they make changes to website content. Because it’s new, there are a lot of questions that need to be answered, and Jason asks Fabrice all the right questions, of course 🙂
- How does it work?
- Can it instantly crawl our websites?
- Is Google also adopting IndexNow?
- What CDN have adopted IndexNow?
- What CMS systems have adopted IndexNow?
- How does the API work?
Fabrice (aka Mr. Bingbot) answers all these questions simply, clearly and extensively. That makes this episode a must-listen…. Especially as Fabrice makes it very clear he will not stop until he gets 80% adoption of IndexNow. He is absolutely convinced that this initiative will make everyone happy: website owners, users, and search engines. Tune in!
What you’ll learn from Fabrice Canel
- 00:00 Fabrice Canel and Jason Barnard
- 00:35 The beginning of Bingbot
- 01:59 Can Bingbot keep up with the infinite pages that need to be crawled?
- 05:55 Fabrice Canel’s Brand SERP on Bing and Google
- 07:18 IndexNow: What it is, how it works and why it’s helpful
- 08:55 Why an API layer is better than a web form
- 11:37 The early adopters of IndexNow
- 14:52 Getting the CMS and the CDNs to do the work
- 15:57 How long will it take for IndexNow to catch on?
- 19:30 Will IndexNow be integrated into the core of WordPress?
- 23:13 Why using IndexNow can reduce crawl on a website
- 24:27 Why IndexNow matters to small websites
- 30:05 Does IndexNow guarantee instant indexing?
- 32:20 How fast can websites be caught for abusing IndexNow?
- 33:21 Will this make XML sitemaps redundant?
- 35:07 The IndexNow API is super simple
This episode was recorded live on video November 2nd 2021
Recorded live at Kalicube Tuesdays (Digital Marketing Livestream Event Series). Watch the video now >>