Kim Krause Berg talks with Jason Barnard about better web accessibility improves profits.
Kim Krause Berg is a renowned speaker and writer with an excellent reputation. Keynote Speaker – “The Golden Road Of Opportunity: Website Accessibility and Human Experience Design,” American Marketing Association Experience Design Virtual Conference, April 15, 2021. She writes for Search Engine Journal with over 150 articles on usability, accessibility and SEO from 2009 – 2019 and has a popular blog called “Cre8pc” to share her ideas on Holistic UX and SEO as a methodology. Kim Krause Berg is the owner of Creative Vision Web Consulting, LLC and an early pioneer in SEO and website design starting in 1995. In 2001, Kim Krause Berg transitioned to human experience design and usability. She recognized the benefits of combining user experience with search engine practices. Today, she specializes in website accessibility and works full-time for BMTX as a QA analyst specializing in web accessibility.
There are so many benefits that web accessibility can bring to people, and when we say people, we mean everyone from SEOs to people with disabilities. If your website meets the needs of people with disabilities, they will feel welcome on your website, and that could be a great way for you as a marketer or SEO to expand your market.
In this episode, Kim Krause Berg and Jason Barnard discuss the issues, challenges and benefits for companies when looking at accessibility. Along the way, Kim explains distinction between conformance and compliance, and provides multiple insights into the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, including that there are many resources where you can read the WCAG online for free.
However, the overriding question is how implementing the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines can benefit small businesses with limited resources, given the effort and knowledge required. Kim’s answer is: it is worthwhile and it is beneficial to your bottom line, so spend the time and invest the resources to do it right.
As always, the show ends with passing the baton…the delightful Kim Krause Berg passes over the virtual baton to next week’s wonderful guest Limor Barenholtz
What you’ll learn from Kim Krause Berg
- 00:00 Kim Krause Berg and Jason Barnard
- 00:38 Anton Shulke’s Birthday Song
- 01:00 Continue to Support Ukraine
- 02:44 Kim Krause Berg’s Brand SERP
- 03:48 Alt Text is Important
- 04:28 Why Google Needs to Write Titles
- 04:40 Microsoft Providing Auto Alt Tags
- 04:44 Alt Tags for Accessibility
- 05:18 Why You should not Rely on Auto Alt Text
- 07:04 How Do You Make Everyone, Including People with Disabilities, Feel Welcome on Your Website?
- 10:23 Preventing Magnification on a Website: Violation of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
- 11:10 Conformance Vs Compliance
- 12:21 Web Content Accessibility Compliance for Small Businesses
- 13:16 WCAG 2.1 Guidelines are Available Free Online
- 18:42 Do People with a Visual Impairment Tend to Use Mobile or Desktop?
- 19:00 Accessibility to Everything Around Us
- 20:45 What are the Benefits of Improving Web Accessibility for SEO?
- 24:46 Advantages of Video Transcripts
- 25:54 Why Creating Video Content with Subtitles and Transcripts is a Great SEO Technique
- 27:45 Using Headings Properly (H1, H2 and H3)
- 30:47 Passing the Baton: Kim Krause Berg to Limor Barenholtz
This episode was recorded live on video April 5th 2022
Recorded live at Kalicube Tuesdays (Digital Marketing Livestream Event Series). Watch the video now >>