Colin Shaw talks with Jason Barnard about UX is dead, long live CX (Customer experience is key).
Colin Shaw is an original pioneer of “customer experience.” LinkedIn has recognized him as one of the “World’s Top 150 Business Influencers,” where he has 291,000 followers. Shaw’s customer experience consulting firm, Beyond Philosophy LLC, has been recognized by the Financial Times as one of the leading business consultancies for the past four consecutive years. Shaw co-hosts the highly successful Intuitive Customer podcast, ranked in the top 5% of all podcasts by BuzzSprout.
Understanding people’s experiences is important for any business, whether it’s a small, emerging startup or a seven-figure company. How people – your company’s customers, users or clients – feel and what they think about their experience doing business or using your company’s products or services matters. But (oooh!) there’s a huge difference between customers, users and clients.
And knowing what customers want can be a huge challenge. That means thorough market research is essential… alongside looking at what customers actually do (as opposed to what they say they will do) and a good dose of behavioural science.
In this fantastic episode with Jason Barnard, Colin Shaw shares his extensive knowledge of customer experience. He also gives great advice on how to build long-term customer relationships and why marketers should focus on customer experience.
As always the show ends with passing the baton… Colin delightfully passes the virtual baton to next week’s wonderful guest, Meredith Kallaher.
What you’ll learn from Colin Shaw
- 00:00 Colin Shaw and Jason Barnard
- 01:20 Colin Shaw’s Brand SERP and Knowledge Panel
- 03:09 Jason Barnard’s Knowledge Panel Tips
- 03:51 Getting a Knowledge Panel for a Podcast
- 05:49 Why You Should Focus on Customer Experience
- 06:37 How Important It is to Understand People’s Experience
- 07:07 Colin Shaw’s Four Elements to Understanding Customer Experience
- 07:10 First Element: Understanding What Customers Do
- 07:23 Second Element: Understanding How Customers Feel
- 07:40 Third Element: A Deliberate Customer Experience
- 09:57 Fourth Element: Understanding Why Customers Do What They Do
- 10:56 Colin Shaw’s Definition of “User”
- 12:17 The Difference Between Customers and Clients
- 14:13 What is Customer Centricity?
- 14:53 How Do You Know What Customers Want?
- 15:22 Three Ways to Find Out What Customers Want.
- 15:27 First: Customer Research
- 16:18 Second: Looking at What Customers Do
- 17:38 Third: Looking Through Behavioural Science
- 20:11 What are the Most Important Things for Customers?
- 24:52 How to Build Customer Relationship Without Spending a Lot of Time and Resources
- 26:52 How to Build Long-term Customer Relationships
- 31:02 Passing the Baton: Colin Shaw to Meredith Kallaher
This episode was recorded live on video September 6th 2022
Recorded live at Kalicube Tuesdays (Digital Marketing Livestream Event Series). Watch the video now >>